So I run... tons. But it wasn't always that way.
Interestingly, I began my track and field career in college. During my four years in high school, I participated in soccer during the spring. I ran cross country all 4 years, but it was always just a way to stay in shape for basketball, which was the sport I lived to play. I even started out at St. Norbert on the women's basketball team. I lasted my entire freshman season, but I was a benchwarmer; I played in just seven games and it became pretty clear to me that I simply wasn't good enough to play collegiately. During the basketball season, I had started running every day as a way to stay in shape since I never saw significant time in games. So, after the season ended, being the sports nut that I am, I contacted the track coach just to see if he would have a spot for me on the team. Turns out there most definitely was, as I quickly became the sole female distance runner on the team!
So, long story short, I ran in our Indoor Conference meet, my first track meet ever, and placed third in the 5K and 3K, thereby jump-starting my collegiate running career! I've been lucky to have a lot of success since then, and my decision to start running for St. Norbert (become a Knight Runner!) was probably the best decision I've ever made. I never knew I could love running quite as much as I do! I'm now proud to be a full-fledged Track Nerd.
I was approached by Hansons-Brooks at the NCAA Division III Cross Country meet on November 22nd after e-mailing them briefly a few months prior. We set up a visit before Christmas, I fell in love with everything they had to offer, and the rest, as they say, is history! I am now officially a professional distance runner, having signed a contract with the Hansons-Brooks Distance Project--effective January 1st! I will be living and training with a phenomenally talented group of women in Rochester, Michigan. I will also work in the Hanson Running Shop. I am so very excited to live out a dream!
Questions about me, my story, distance running, the professional running atmosphere? I'm always ready and willing to talk running, sports, and really anything else that may be on your mind-- shoot me a message on Twitter (@KnightRunner) or even message me on Facebook. I'm a huge fan of social media and love the community of runners that exists on Twitter!
~My PR's: (as of January 2011)
-1500: 4:51 (UW-Oshkosh Invitational, 4/4/09)
-Mile: 5:08 (Stevens Point Invitational, 2/7/09)
-3K: 10:06 (Midwest Conference Championship, Monmouth College, 2/27/09)
-3K Steeple: 11:04 (Midwest Conference Championship, Monmouth College, 5/14/10)
-5K: Track - 17:04 (2009 NCAA DIII Indoor Nationals, Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology, 3/14/09)
Road race - 17:37 (Packers Lambeau 5K, Green Bay, WI, 8/31/10)
Cross Country race - 17:40 (Tom Barry Invitational, Colburn Park, Green Bay, WI 9/4/2010)
-6K: 21:02 (2010 NCAA DIII Cross Country Midwest Regional Meet, Rock Island, IL, 11/13/10)
-8K: Road race - 28:55 (Kiwanis Fit for Life Road Race, Elkhorn, WI, 8/7/10)
-10K: Track - 35:20 (Stanford Invitational, Palo Alto, CA, 3/26/10)
Road race - 36:32 (Milton Independence Day 10K, Milton, WI, 7/4/10)
-1/2 Marathon: 1:17:34 (2011 Disney World Half Marathon, Lake Buena Vista, FL, 1/8/11)
~ Career Highlights:
- Recently (1/8/11) won the Walt Disney World Half Marathon, my professional debut with the Hansons-Brooks Distance Project
- 10-time NCAA National Meet Qualifier (4-time cross country, 6 in track & field)
- 3rd place - Cross Country National Championship - November 20, 2010
- 4th place - 10,000 meter run, Outdoor Track Nationals 2010
- 7th place - 5,000 meter run, Indoor Track Nationals 2010
- 10th place - Cross Country National Championship - November 21, 2009
- 4th place - 5,000 meter run, Outdoor Track Nationals 2009
- 4th place - 10,000 meter run, Outdoor Track Nationals 2009
- 4th place - 5,000 meter run, Indoor Track Nationals 2009
- 7th place - Cross Country National Championship - November 22, 2008
- 6th place - 10,000 meter run, Outdoor Track Nationals 2008
- 5K Provisional National Qualifier in 2008 & 2010 (17:30 & 17:15)
- Distance Medley Relay Provisional National Qualifier in 2009 (12:03)
- 13-time Midwest Conference Champion in Cross Country & Indoor/Outdoor Track & Field
- Hold 9 St. Norbert School Records